Early Help Offer

Early Help at Fritchley CofE (Aided) Primary and Nursery School
From time to time, we all go through situations which are difficult to cope with. We sometimes hear in the media about families who are, or who have been, struggling.

At these times, we need help and advice but finding the right department or agency can be a minefield. Our Early Help Offer allows parents to seek support at the first instance. The school will offer any support it can to parents and children such as:

  • meetings to discuss the issue,
  • signposting for emotional support,
  • pastoral support,
  • support in developing behaviour plans at home,
  • financial assistance i.e. school uniform and school trips,
  • completing forms,
Should the support of agencies outside of school be needed an assessment form may be completed, or signposting given, to provide parents and families with services who can help. This may be behaviour support, domestic abuse support agencies, parenting advice, bereavement counselling, health advice. We will seek the individual tailored support that best meets the needs of individual situations. If in any doubt, please come and talk to us. We are here for you.

At Fritchley Primary and Nursery School, we utilise any service we need to, in order to best support our pupils and their families. We are always happy to help where we can and to try and help you find the right agency to support you.
Early Help Assessment

This starts with an Early Help conversation. You’ll chat with Mrs Turner or Mrs Shaw or our school’s family liaison support to establish what’s going well and what’s not going well for you and your family, and we will let you know what sort of help is available. This conversation might lead to an Early Help Assessment (EHA). This is how we get a full picture about the whole family. We use it to help you see what is working well and identify the areas you could do with a bit of extra support. It‘s your choice to take part in the assessment and you can choose who else should be involved. Every person and family is different, but an Early Help Assessment (EHA) will:

  • Help you see what’s going well and not so well for your family
  • Help you and others to see what support you might need
  • Create a picture of your family’s circumstances, which can be shared with your permission so you don’t have to repeat yourself to different workers
  • Help you to be part of a team of people working together on the same plan to get things going well again.
Why do I need to give my permission (also known as consent)?

Your personal information belongs to you. Agencies can’t share your information unless you agree, because your information is protected by law under the Data Protection Act.

What happens after the Early Help Assessment?

With your permission, people from different organisations working with your family will share information and work together to help support you and your children. This could be school, health visitors, counsellors, family support worker from the Derbyshire Early Help Team etc. This may then be followed by a ‘Team around the family’ (TAF) meeting.
What is a ‘Team around the family’ meeting?

The family and workers involved come together to make a support plan. This is reviewed at regular intervals to ensure that progress is being made for your family and that the right support is in place. At this meeting, you’ll choose a ‘lead worker’. This can be any one of the people working with your family – you might choose the worker you see most often, or the person you find most approachable. Your lead worker will arrange the review meetings and be someone you can speak to at any point about any concerns or issues you and your family are experiencing.
What happens after the ‘Team around the family’ meeting?

The support plan may involve:

  • Visits to your home or school from the key workers involved
  • Your participation in a course suggested in the TAF meeting
  • For you or your child to attend counselling sessions to help you implement the actions on the agreed plan.
Child Protection is everyone's business, even when out in the community. If you believe that any child is in danger ring Call Starting Point, which is the focal point for Social Care support, on 01629 533190, choosing the option for urgent child protection or contact the police.

For further information or out of hours support, call Starting Point on 01629 535353 for advice.

For more information about useful Early Help sites take a look at the links below.
Confidential Counselling Service for young children

Derby and Derbyshire Safeguarding Partnership

Derbyshire Groups Directory

Derbyshire Information and Support Service for Special Educational Needs

Support for families suffering from domestic abuse

National Domestic Violence helpline: 0808 2000 247

National Centre for Domestic Abuse: 0844 8044 999

CARP: 0845 602 9035 providing advice for victims of domestic violence

Support for children seriously affected by someone else substance misuse